Saturday, December 17, 2011

An American of Collection of Japanese Textiles

Title An American of Collection of Japanese Textiles
Publication Year 1989

The English foreword to this book,Fifi White says"When I began looking at Japanese textiles I had already been a weaver and collector of fabries for several years.My weaving had led me to appreciate Guatermalan tetiles and American indian objects for their color texture and wonderful surface patterns.

However,what I was discovering in Japanese examples of dyeing,weaving and printing was different-more sophisticated,more complex and with a wider design vocabulary.

Japanese textiles were more varied in their beauty and finer in material and technique than the earlier Guatemalan and American Indian pieces I had been collectiing.The more I saw,the more responsive I became to the finest examples and the more I wanted to have them to live with."